Friday, May 3, 2013

Art in our backyard

After a whirlwind Timberlake wedding weekend and with final hugs, kisses, and godspeeds, Steve and I packed up Claude, our tired but trusted Hyundai Tucson, and struck out on our big adventure (albeit a half-day behind schedule). A few hours down I-40 later we made our first stop - Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, Arkansas. Steve and I had read a lot about this museum and have seen our fair share living in D.C. and through our travels abroad. This one, buried behind a standard issue cul-de-sac in Northwest Arkansas suburbia, can compete with them all. The architecture and ambiance of the place rivals the Getty in Los Angeles, and the diversity of Alice Walton's collection was impressive. Our visit was well worth the side trip, even if it meant we had to plow through Oklahoman thunderstorms past midnight to stick to our driving schedule. We look forward to picnicking on the grounds on our next trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment